Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Christmas Zen ski

Every year my friend John goes out alone on Christmas day for what he calls a "Zen" ski. This year after all the presents were opened and everyone's belly filled with breakfast, most of my family decided to go back to bed for a nap. I decided this was a great opportunity for me to get away for my own Zen ski.

After I gathered all my gear, I realized I have yet to buy some poles for classic skiing (skate poles way too long). A quick visit to John's place and I had a pair of $200+ carbon fibre poles to ski with!

I wanted to do a quick ski; therefore, I drove to the nearest entrance to the Gatineau Park, which is Gamelin, just 9kms from my place. The plan was to go to top of Pink and back. The parking lot at Gamelin was quite busy. I strapped on the sticks and was on my way.

The conditions were spring-like. The temperatures hovered just above freezing and the snow was hard packed with a couple of centimetres of fresh snow - fairly quick surface. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I had just taken up classic skiing again after a 25yr hiatus. This third time out on my skis, I started getting a good feel for it and was merrily putting along. I couldn't have asked for a better day or conditions. I made it to Pink lake in about 40mins and I took a few minutes at the lookout to enjoy the view.

View of Pink lake from the look-out on a sunny Christmas morning.

Looking down Pink Lake hill

The ride back to Gamelin was quick. I opted to ride the downhill in the tracks at Pink Lake and have to admit that I was questioning that decision about half way down, as I felt I was going way too fast, but it was more a question of my head playing games with me. I made it down with no problem at all. You do pick up some good speed down that hill!

The view going down towards Gamelin is my favourite view in the Gats
because it always reminds how lucky we are to have this
amazing playground at our doorstep.



Made back to Gamelin in just under 25 minutes. After all that exercise, I was ready for this. Bring it on!




1 comment:

Peter M said...

Sounds a lot more relaxing than my Death Ski