- I ride for fun, I race for fun and I always have fun doing it!
- I broke my femur (down Penguin) on "Friday the 13th" (Aug. 2004)!
- After 9 weeks, I was pedalling again (some sort of record according to my surgeon).
- When Damon Allen played for Ottawa, I was mistaken for him often.
One thing Damon and I have in common is we are the same age - 43- and we still think we can play.
One day I saw Damon at the Vancouver airport, and he stared at me for a long time as I walked by. He must have been thinking, "that must that Gilles dude people keep mistaking me for"!I drive a station wagon big enough to carry the entire BRR team! Her name is Gretchen!
Here is an interesting fact about the men in my family and life threating injuries:
- my grandfather was shot in WWII and fell down a cliff and lived to tell about it;
- my dad was hit by a javelin in the head (yes! it stuck there!) while officiating a track meet and lived to tell about it;
- my older brother had a head-to-hed collision with a car... he was on a motorcycle! The car was a write-off and so was the bike and you guessed it, he lived to tell about it;
- my femur - also considered life-threating and I'm still round.